Frequently Asked Questions
This area of our site is provided in an effort to answer some of the most frequently asked questions that we receive from the public.
If you have additional questions which aren't answered below, please feel free to contact us using our convenient online form.
1. WHAT ARE THE QUALIFICATIONS FOR MEMBERSHIP?
Individual members consist of those persons engaged in work of a legal nature and who agree to comply with the NALS Code of Ethics and Professional Responsibility.
2. HOW DO I BECOME A MEMBER?
You can use the secure online application, or you may choose to print out the application right from the web site in Adobe PDF format and mail or fax it. Simply choose the method you want to apply, fill out the NALS Membership Application, select a method of payment, and submit your application. You then just sit back and will receive your new member package from the NALS Resource Center within four weeks.
Categories of membership:
- Regular Member = $143.00 per year (includes state and local dues)
- International Member = $175.00 per year
- Retired Member = $53.00 per year
- National Associate Member = $53.00 per year (educators, judges and attorneys)
- National Student Member = $19.00 per year (must be a full-time student)
- Lifetime Member = $1,500.00 (one time fee) (annual billing for state and local dues)
3. WHY SHOULD I JOIN NALS?
Opportunities for professional and personal development are plenty when you join NALS. NALS is a tri-level organization composed of NALS, your state association, and your local chapter. Each offers top-notch professional growth through seminars, quality publications, and local, state, regional and national networking. NALS offers several regional and national conferences each year packed with outstanding education and featuring excellent speakers from around the country. State and local chapters offer more frequent meetings to give in-depth local educational coverage.
Additionally, NALS and NALS of Arizona support its members by providing the following benefits:
- Affinity Programs – members enjoy discounts on a variety of goods and services.
- Certification – accreditation for everyone, whether beginning a new career or enhancing your current one.
- ALS – the basic certification for legal professionals and PLS – the advanced certification for legal professionals. NALS also offers a certification dedicated to paralegals, the PP - Professional Paralegal.
- @Law Magazine – members receive this award-winning publication quarterly.
- the NALS docket – a monthly electronic magazine on current topics of interest to legal support staff, delivered via e-mail.
- E-News – a weekly electronic newsletter sent to all NALS members who provide an email address, which includes timely information and details of NALS activities, with links to educational information and topics of interest to legal support staff. NALS of Arizona also sends a monthly e-News message to all members in Arizona.
- NALS Online Learning Center – Education and personal development offered on a variety of subjects with the added bonus of networking across the United States.
4. WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF THE NALS ONLINE LEARNING CENTER?
Education, updated information on NALS and various legal topics, networking across the country are just a few of the benefits afforded our members who make it a point to participate in our weekly Tuesday and Wednesday night NALS Online Learning Center sessions. Each week a different topic is chosen as an educational subject or for discussion over the Internet lines. Come check us out!
5. WHO DO I CONTACT WITH REGARD TO MEMBERSHIP QUESTIONS?
Saundra Bates, NALS Membership Services Manager, is the staff person at the NALS Resource Center in charge of membership services. Saundra’s contact information is as follows:
NALS Membership Services Manager
NALS Resource Center
8159 East 41st Street
Tulsa, Oklahoma 74145
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. WHO ARE THE STAFF MEMBERS AT THE NALS RESOURCE CENTER?
Tammy Hailey, CAE (email@example.com)
Executive Director of NALS and Executive Director of the NALS Foundation
Jay Moore (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Diana Price (email@example.com)
Education and Certification Manager
Saundra Bates (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Member Services Manager
Jennifer King (email@example.com)
Meetings and Marketing Representative
7. WHEN WAS NALS FOUNDED AND WHO ARE THE MEMBERS?
Since 1929, NALS ... the association for legal professionals has been and continues to be the premiere association for professional legal support staff, providing many opportunities to improve individual performance and enhance knowledge of the legal profession through continuing legal education, networking with peers, NALS publication @LAW, and certification. The name NALS was not adopted or incorporate until 1949. NALS of Arizona was chartered in 1967. More info about NALS of Arizona's history can be found here.
8. WHAT DO THE FOLLOWING ACRONYMS MEAN?
- ALS ... the basic certification for legal professionals: The ALS designation is an attainable goal for someone entering the legal support field. Demonstrate your acceptance of the challenge while improving your on-the-job skills in the areas of communication, accounting, office administration, ethics and legal procedures.
- PLS ... the advanced certification for legal professionals: The certified PLS designation is the best way to show off your expertise in areas including legal terminology and procedures, ethics, office procedures, and communication skills. That could mean more money and more opportunities for you, or it could mean doing a better job for your present employer!
- PP: Professional Paralegal, this is the newest of the NALS Certifications
- SMC: State Membership Chairman
- LMC: Local Membership Chairman
- CLE: Continuing Legal Education
- CLA: Certified Legal Assistant
- @Law: The Official NALS Magazine. As a member of NALS ... the association for legal professionals, you will receive @LAW four times a year. Each issue features informative articles and time-saving resources. @LAW is so informative it won the coveted Gold Circle Award for Most Improved Magazine from the ASAE. The @LAW subscription rate for nonmembers of NALS is $40.00 per year. Subscribe now.
Frequently Asked Questions always seem to be a topic for discussion in membership. Not only do our current members have questions — we also find that potential members, new members, educators, students, attorneys, legal communities across the nation, and the general public have questions concerning NALS . . . the association for legal professionals. We hope that in this area of the NALS website, we will answer some of your most pressing questions. If not, please contact the NALS Membership Services Manager, Saundra Bates.
Do you have other questions? Please contact us.